On 2/16/24 14:48, Ed Jaffe wrote:
On 2/16/2024 11:33 AM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
z/OS 3.1 added the Z Shell, zsh.  Is anyone using it?  How do you like it.  What interesting features does it have over bash?

I'm only at 2.5, so can't use it.

I am using it. After all, what self-respecting z/OS advocate doesn't want to use a shell called Z?

indeed!     : - )

I'm not a power user. Not doing anything I couldn't also do in bash...

I use BASH almost exclusively for interactive work, mostly because of the nifty command retrieval feature. But ZSH has the same thing. Cool! After Martin mentioned Mac, I logged into my nearest Mac and found my logon shell set to BASH. But ZSH is there. (As long as my retrieve key works, I don't notice which shell I get by default.)

WARNING: recommend that you *not* use particular shells when scripting. That is, start your scripts with #!/bin/sh (rather than #!/bin/zsh or #!/bin/bash). If you need features of a particular shell, there is a better way to indicate that.

For more info about ZSH, see the Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_shell

The "Z" is arbitrary and (sadly) has nothing to do with our systems. (Unless IBM snuck something in.)

I maintain pre-compiled copies of ZSH, BASH, [PD]KSH, and DASH for several platforms as part of the Chicory collection. (But have not been able to brew much Chicory on z/OS lately. Wanna help?)

Another popular shell is TCSH (also in Chicory), but it's a C-shell variant. The others are all Bourne compatible, which many consider a requirement (at least for scripting).

I have cluttered this thread enough already. I'll say more about profiling and shell selection in another note.

-- R; <><