This list has been a great source of ideas and information, although I've
never really been a 'contributor' here, but more of a 'lurker'. Whenever
I've seen a thread that I might be able to respond to, someone else gets in
first with a response very similar to the one that I thought of.

So, I hope you won't mind me speaking up now to say that it's time for this
tired old mainframer to toddle off into the sunset... after 50 years of
working with mainframe systems, I feel it's time to hang up my keyboard and
call it a day.

I first started on an ICL 1904 - punched cards, paper tape, core memory,
60MB disks, GEORGE II - but quickly saw the light and moved to another
employer that used a 360/30 roughly 8 years after the series was first
marketed. Since then, aside from a brief entanglement with a Burroughs
B4700, it's been IBM all the way.

I have to say that it's (mostly) been a lot of fun. From one aspect, I've
never really worked a day in my life. Instead, I've been paid a lot of
money to play on other people's expensive toys.

Here's wishing all of you good luck and good fortune for the future. I'll
be thinking about doing some travelling - haven't made it to South America
or Africa yet.

Regards
Sean o'bhaile na Gleann