Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 06:24:45 +0000
From: Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com<mailto:sipp...@sg.ibm.com>>
Subject: Re: RACF, external password management

Linda Hagedorn wrote:
>This is very promising. Do you know where I can read more about ZMFA?

The documentation landing page is here:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma>

>I'm interested in knowing how to configure the external source, and how
>the token is passed back to RACF, and how long the token lasts.
>For example, if systems programmers are working a problem, we
>wouldn't want the token to expire in 3 hrs.
>Or does the token last for the duration of the session?
>If tso/ispf times out (sysprog is doing research or answering
>mgmt questions), will they have to generate a new token?

If for example you’re configuring ZMFA to use a LDAP server as an “external”
factor then this landing page has further details:
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=customization-configuring-ldap<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=customization-configuring-ldap>

I put the word external in quotation marks because the LDAP server could be
z/OS’s LDAP server or some other LDAP server running on the same IBM Z machine.
And LDAP is just one example. Many “external” and external factors’ interfaces
are supported.

You can configure ZMFA for “out-of-band” authentication so that users obtain
what’s called a “cache token credential” (CTC) to log into RACF (via TSO/E for
example). You can choose whether the CTC is reusable and how quickly it expires.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=policies-setting-policy-token-timeout<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=policies-setting-policy-token-timeout>
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=policies-setting-cache-token-credential-be-reusable<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zma/2.3.0?topic=policies-setting-cache-token-credential-be-reusable>

—————
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM Z/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com<mailto:sipp...@sg.ibm.com>