Well, a significant portion of the value proposition for WLM when it was
introduced in the mid 90s was in fact to eliminate the static assignment of
dispatching priorities and the fact that WLM would potentially adjust the
dispatching priorities every 10 seconds to attempt to balance the performance
of different workloads at different importances to optimize overall throughput
of the system.

WLM makes those decisions based on how the different workloads are performing
relative to their goals. But of course if the goals and importances are set
"poorly" the results may not be ideal.

The CPU Critical attribute can be set for service classes to keep a service
class at a dispatching priority above all SCs at a lower importance. Well
mostly... except for promotion that can happen for a variety of reasons to help
resolve things like resource contention. But CPU Critical is generally not the
first tool to be pulled out of the tool box.

If you want a (relatively) quick overview of WLM, you might check the
presentations section of our website: https://pivotor.com/content.html You
might want to click on the topic view button at the top and scroll down to the
WLM section. The "Introdution to the WLM" presentation might be a good place to
start. "WLM’s Algorithms – How WLM Works" might be another good early one to
look at. It sounds like "Revisiting Goals over Time" might also be of interest.
:)

Scott Chapman