Hi fellow listers,

Newcomer here, so... I hope my question makes sense.

We have some amount of business critical distributed online transactions,
running on enclaves into a Db2 zOS subsystem. Our current WLM configuration
assigns them a specific service class with importance 1 and a velocity goal.

We have been observing quite poor performance index for this service class (and
awful response times for those transactions) whenever the lpar shows high cpu
usage (on or around 100%) and specially when capping is on. Performance index
stays between 1 and 2 most of the time, with peaks over 40.

From what I have read so far, I understand velocity goals can be tricky for
short-term processes, and that gets worse with fewer logical processors. Which
happens to be our case, last year we brought in a z16 with less capacity and
processors than the previous machine.

So, in your experience, could be a good idea switching to a response time goal?

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Jaime