From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Jared Hunter <jhun...@rocketsoftware.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2024 4:20 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Learning one's tools

Dave Beagle wrote:
> Code reviews are dumb and not needed by good programmers

Counterpoint: Code reviews are -most- essential when the authors are experts.

Why is that?  Because experts are most able to churn out code that functions
correctly for today’s requirements, but that some less-expert future maintainer
will have a difficult time modifying to suit a new requirement without
introducing a bug.

“Standards” may feel stifling and inefficient to someone who wants to output
“working” code as quickly as possible, and especially one with a deep desire to
display their cleverness. [Dear reader, does that sound like anyone you know?]

In general, code written for the set of list-relevant platforms should be
reviewed with the expectation that it will be maintained for decades longer
than the original author is employed, and eventually by a generalist with
significantly less overall depth of compiler-specific or arcane platform
knowledge.  It’s an extremely hard balance to strike, to be sure, but it’s
never too early or too late to start trying.

Jared Hunter
Rocket Software