From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: 18 May 2013 22:17
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Rather interesting article on "hacking the mainframe" using ftp

http://mainframed767.tumblr.com/post/50574743147/big-iron-back-door-maintp-p
art-two

basically the person must be able to ftp into a UNIX subdirectory and to
submit a job. They upload a program called "netcat" into a data set starting
with their RACF id. They then submit a job which copies the data set into
the /tmp subdirectory with a "random" name, chmod the name to be executable,
then executes does starts the netcat in the "background" (asynchronous to
the batch job) and piping to/from the z/OS UNIX shell. The "hacker" simply
connects to the port that netcat is listening on, and presto, they have a
shell on their desktop.

--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an actual
emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN