On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:45:46 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:

>Our section uses and IEBGENER proc to SYSOUT=(A,,INTRDR) and works just fine.

I have an EDIT macro that does very similar.  _And_ it allocates the INTRDR
with attributes of the data set being submitted; it doesn't quietly truncate
my data to 80 columns.

    http://www.thealders.net/humour/work/wk49.html

>Yes, there is the presumed overallocation with release solution.  But many (if
>not most) allocations don't work with release at allocation.
>In most cases this causes waste of space and still x37's.

And z/OS UNIX "cp" command allocates its output data set with RLSE,
then opens it several times.  The first time it writes no data, guaranteeing
an x37 shortly thereafter.  IBM took an APAR.  First they suggested
secondary extents, then they agreed to provide a NORLSE option, with
RLSE remaining the default, just to be inconsistent with almost all MVS
allocation.  cp() generates the RLSE TU only if the programmer specifies
SPACE.  Go figger.

-- gil