Moving your mailboxes to your domain provider might help because your domain provider *does* have the chops to force other parties to play along. As a security professional, I will tell you that's the WRONG way to do it. Receivers should NOT trust a party because of their size or because of their connections ... any more than because of how many lawyers they have on the payroll. The sending IP address being on the SPF record is clear. Even without DNSSEC, faking the SPF record is complex enough that the bad guys would have difficulty fudging SPF at the scale they need. The message to be signed using DKIM is *strong* cryptographic assurance that the message is authentic. Fudged DKIM signature is more of a DOS problem than a spam allowance.

Does this make sense?

-- R; <><

On 4/5/24 15:36, Phil Smith III wrote:

Yeah, I have SPF records. I may move my mailboxes to my domain provider, who
might should be able to do better.

But explain:
- getting Digests
- not able to post
- no errors?!

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Rick Troth
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2024 3:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Posting issues?

Let's see if this gets through.
I THINK my posts are making it (seems like one did earlier this week), and this
being a GMail identity, that would make sense.

Phil, you're trying to use a custom address. That is to say, you're using a
personal domain.
I observe that such are increasingly challenged. I don't have a solution, but
I'm chasing a couple of remedies. Maybe we can connect.
Maybe we can achieve critical mass?

It's all about trust.
The major email providers don't "trust" akphs.com.
I find that one of my personal domains cannot send to my wife's mailbox at
Yahoo!. This is a real problem for us and gonna get worse.
All email which is outsourced to Googoo gets through. (sometimes to the spam
folder)  But Yahoo! slams the door *hard* and won't accept email sent from a
residential IP address.
Googoo is reasonable about *accepting* traffic too. (again, sometimes to
quarantine) I have not tried (e.g.) AOL or Hotmail. I did try a former
employer's email service and got rejected.

Two things I have in place which supposedly would help: SPF record and DKIM
key. These are both in the DNS.
The home IP address being in the SPF record should be enough for Yahoo!
to accept it. Doesn't work.
The DKIM key and the signature on the traffic should confirm that any given
message is authentic. Doesn't help.
Then too, some are starting to use "DNS SEC". (And some are not, even many
luminaries. DNSSEC is a pain in all cases and impractical for most.) But I don't know if
Yahoo! is flagging things based on DNSSEC or lack of.

Anyone else having troubles, let's circle-up off-list and see what we can
figure out.

-- R; <><