Robert is on the right path.

It's been decades since I used Passport.  But you need to have your 3270
session setup with extended attributes enable, then setup IND$FILE options in
Passport to use Structured Field or something like that.  Then you can set the
block size to the largest Passports supports.  This is not file block size.
This block size is used to determine how many bytes of data IND$FILE will send
in one chunk before it waits for an ACK to send more. Not sure what Passport
may support, but the default is normally about 2K and the max. allowed by
IND$FILE is 32K.