On Wed, 10 Apr 2024, at 17:58, Tony Harminc wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 08:50, Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I just noticed that some posts here show the poster's own email address
>> whereas others have something like
>>
>>   00000xxxxxxxxxxx-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu
>

>  This is a workaround invented by Lsoft ...

Indeed; I see something similar on lots of other mail lists ... except
that elsewhere all the posts come with the workaround addresses.

In one case it's impossible to tell who posted which piece of content
unless the poster has a sensible sig, and even if they do one still has
to scroll every post to the bottom to see who wrote it.

Since my email address does make it into my posts, does that
mean that the listserver sees my (Fastmail generic domain) address
as "properly/securely" setup, or not?

> Essentially things go wrong because LISTSERV is unable to sign (loosely
> speaking) an email that it receives from a subscriber and wants to relay to
> the list. And if a recipient's mail system rejects it for that reason, then
> LISTSERV generates a random email address @ the LISTSERV address, and sends
> from that address (which of course it *is* authorized to send from).

Do you mean that different recipients see any particular post with a mix of
apparent from-addresses, depending on whether the listserv had problem
sending copies of that post to their mail provider?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.