Thank you, Bill Collier, for your note reminding me of the fun we had in those
days (Summer 1968) when you taught and I attended
hardware/software/architecture/programming classes.

From: William Collier<wwcollie...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2022 11:27 AM
To: Seymour J Metz
Subject: BXLE instruction

To:  Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu<mailto:sme...@gmu.edu>>

Hi,

  Last night I enjoyed reading your comment on the IBM-MAIN
listserv:

The slickest thing that I saw in OS/360 was code testing
successive bits using BXH and BXLE.

  I would like to respond with the note below.  I have followed
(I believe) all the directions for creating a password in order
to be allowed to post a note responding to your note.  It hasn't
worked (yet).  Would you, in the interest of timeliness, be
willing to post the note below on my behalf?  If not, that's OK.
I will figure it out.

    Bill Collier

==============================

Re: End of several eras

  Back in 1965 IBM Poughkeepsie our job was to write an operating
system for System/360 which would fit into 1K bytes (sic) of an
8k byte machine.  I figured out how to use a BXLE instruction to
both test and advance a bit string in a register.  It saved us
maybe 30-some bytes.  I described this in IBM TR 00.1412-1, June
22, 1966.  Thank you, Seymour Metz, for your note reminding us of
the fun we had in those days.

  Bill Collier
  coll...@acm.org<mailto:coll...@acm.org>

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433