That is a concept that DB2 uses.  It can start at 1 cylinder and increase the
secondary by 1 on each extend.

If you changed the SPACE parameter to accept:

SPACE=(unit,(n,+m,...
Where unit = TRK/CYL/etc and n=Primary allocation and +m is the initial
secondary amount and increment

That way if you specified  SPACE=(CYL,(10,+5)) and got the primary and 10
extents, the file size would be 285 cylinders and a primary with 15 extents
would be 610 cylinders as opposed to 60 and 75 cylinders respectively.

Amount per allocation - 10  5  10  15  20  25  30  35  40  45  50  55  60  65
70  75
Total allocation        10 15  25  40  60  85 115 150 190 235 285 340 400 465
535 610

This might be attractive for an EA enabled data set where even a
SPACE=(CYL,(10,+10)) gets you to about 75,030 cylinders in 123 extents.

Chris Blaicher
Principal Software Engineer, Software Development
Syncsort Incorporated
50 Tice Boulevard, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
P: 201-930-8260  |  M: 512-627-3803
E: cblaic...@syncsort.com