A question:

* How do I check if Python is installed/availible in an existing z/OS?  (I
can't ask anyone for the moment due to an organisational mess at this site.)

* Regarding REXX:
- If performance is a priority and concern for the task I use a proper tool
delivered by IBM or third party vendor (the latter if portability is not
important).
- If a proper tool is not avalible or usable and performance is a priority etc
for the task I code a COBOL or assembler program. But I very seldom have had a
need to do that, at least the latest 20 years or so.
- If performance is NOT a priority I use REXX.
- I would use langs like Python if they are as easy and fast to code as REXX.
If not they are irrellevant for me. And here portability may probably be a
concern.
- I have never felt limited by REXX functionality in z/OS (other than regarding
performance sometimes, but then you can easily use tools from REXX!).

Thomas Berg