Mike Schwab wrote:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect:Direct
>Mid 1980s The Systems Center created by UCC employees.  Determined
>need for high speed data transfer between mainframe OSes, added
>midrange then PCs.
>Merged with VM Systems to form Systems Center Inc.
>Bought by Sterling 1993.
>Sterling Commerce sold to SBC (AT&T) 2001.
>Sold to IBM 2010.

Close. VM Software, Inc., not VM Systems Group, merged with The Systems Center
to form System Center (singular, no article). And
SterComm went to SBC in 2000, not 2001. CA bought Sterling on Valentine's Day
2000 (I called my wife, whose response was, "It's
Valentine's Day, not April Fool's"), and SBC bought SterComm at the same time.

VMSI and VMSG were the two main VM vendors, conveniently located about 20 miles
from each other. I was at VMSG 1986-1997, when they
sold their mainframe products and me to Sterling VMD (the former VMSI). VMSG
was called Relay Technology by then.

As mainframe folks, you'll appreciate this: when VMSG said they were renaming
themselves to Relay Technology, we all said "WTF, why
is 'Technology' singular?" Then we went to update screens etc. and realized
that "Relay Technology" and "VM Systems Group" are the
SAME NUMBER OF CHARACTERS, fit nicely in existing fields, so we stopped
bitching. And no, management had not thought of that!