Mark
See "z/OS UNIX System Services Programming: Assembler Callable Services
SA23-2281-60"
The BPX1SPN/BPX4SPN service describes the jobname of the spawned address space
as follows in item 3 of the usage notes.

"The job name of the parent is propagated to the child and appended with a
numeric value in the range of 1–9, if the job name is 7 characters or less. If
the job name is 8 characters, the job name is propagated as is. When a job name
is appended with a numeric value, the count wraps back to 1 when it exceeds 9."

Are you saying that these rules are not followed?
Your description seems to be at odds with the documented rules.

However, I see under item 28 of the usage notes the following.

" The _BPX_JOBNAME environment variable can be used to change the job name of
the new process image. The job name change is allowed only if the invoker has
appropriate privileges (see Authorization). If these conditions are not met,
the environment variable is ignored. Accepted values are strings of 1–8
alphanumeric characters. Incorrect specifications are ignored.
A job name can be specified in the INHE structure. If both the INHE JOBNAME and
environment variable _BPX_JOBNAME are specified, the value in the INHE
structure is used.
If _BPX_JOBNAME is specified and _BPX_SHAREAS is set to YES, then _BPX_JOBNAME
is ignored."

Maybe you have that environment variable set.

Lennie