Mark Jacobs wrote:
<snip>

What is the difference between the Rocket Software Ported tools package
and the one ordered via ShopZSeries?

(Posting on behalf of Jeff Magdall, who saw your post.)

I wanted to respond to the questions you asked about IBM's Ported Tools offering.

If you look at the IBM Ported Tools offering closely, some of the tools are down level. Rocket Software has elected to offer more current versions for some of these tools, and we understand they also offer optional fee based support. Rocket Software's offering is separate and distinct from IBM's, and for specific information about it, you should contact Rocket Software.

The IBM Ported Tools product remains orderable through Shopz. Although plans can change, IBM has no plans right now to duplicate what Rocket Software has done. In fact, we are pleased to see others in the System z community offering popular tooling, and we might, for example, point to Rocket Software's site for clients that are interested in getting more current versions.

I will share that we (IBM) are working on plans to update our Apache HTTP Server and OpenSSH offerings, and we will try to make information available as we conclude.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that we worked closely with Rocket Software to provide them whatever we could from our previous work on the tools they were interested in. We are pleased to see them contributing these tools to the z Community and encourage others to join.

Jeff Magdall
z/OS Product Manager & PDT Lead
magd...@us.ibm.com

--