On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:54:09 -0700, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>On 6/17/2013 1:12 PM, John Eells wrote:
>> I will share that we (IBM) are working on plans to update our Apache
>> HTTP Server and OpenSSH offerings, and we will try to make information
>> available as we conclude.

Is OpenSSH under a GPL-like license?  Would that imply that the source
(as ported) would have to be available under GPL-like T&C?

I have long suspected that IBM selected cURL as opposed to any program
with similar function because cURL is not encumbered by GPL.

>It would be nice if OpenSSH and cURL came with z/OS without the PITA
>separate order and separate install. They are extremely popular and
>necessary utilities. Software developers should be able to count on them
>being in the base just the way they can with FTP.

Is FTP in the base?  Does FTP have TCP/IP as a prerequisite?  Is TCP/IP in
the base?  I understand that I can't get to some of our lab systems via TCP/IP
because we have elected not to license TCP/IP on them as a cost-saving
measure.  Have to use shared DASD dropboxes.

(Yes, I'm hybridizing two threads.  But my gripe applies to both.)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:45:10 -0500, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>I remember that old thing, but AFAIK, it is NOT on my z/OS v1.12. Why are you
>using that instead of IEBGENER/ICEGENER, IEBCOPY, DFSORT, IDCAMS,
>TRANSMIT/RECEIVE, FTP, etc to do your copy work? Why not try using option =3.3
>for example?

I believe the OP said "batch", which somewhat restricts the choice.  Sure, I can
run ISPF in batch and sometimes do.  But PITA.  One of my favorite examples to
amuse my UNIX-partisan colleagues is:

MVS JCL:

    //STEP  EXEC  PGM=IEBGENER
    //SYSIN  DD  DUMMY
    //SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=(,)
    //SYSUT1  DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=FIRST.FILE
    //SYSUT2  DD  DISP=(,CATLG),UNIT=SYSALLDA,
    //  SPACE=(CYL,1),DSN=SECOND.FILE

versus UNIX:

    cp first.file second.file

But you get so much finer control over the operation with JCL!

One of the audience was amused/interested enough to ask as I
explained the operands, "What if you omit 'CATLG'?  Does the file
just sit there, orphaned?"  "Well, yes, pretty much."

And, oh, by the way, you have to spend $30K (is that about right?) for
the hardware/software thingy that lets you steer the clock.  And it
still doesn't do NTP client.  But it has sub-microsecond precision.
If you need that.

And, oh, by the way, it doesn't do LDAP/NIS/... client.  But its security
facility is far superior to what you have.  It just doesn't play well
with others.

And, oh, by the way, user IDs are (for practical purposes) limited to
7 characters whereas the modal IT practice seems to be 8.  But no
site has so many users that 8 is insufficient.  And since z/OS doesn't
do LDAP, etc., that conflict is never joined.

And, oh, by the way, SSL/SSH/SFTP isn't in the base.  But it's a
zero-priced option with just a tedious installation.  Once you have
TCP/IP.

And, oh, by the way the customary X11 demos aren't in the base.
But the source is supplied, and you can compile them.

Compiler?  Never mind.  Gcc?  Not really.  Just ask John M.

Of course, IBM is entitled to price à la carte as it chooses to maximize
margins.  And such as Timothy S. are yet haunted by the memory
"... that, for a period of time, IBM couldn't set its own prices exactly
as it wished," meaning that to some extent IBM was compelled to
unbundle.

Sheesh!

-- gil