Charles Mills wrote:
>Our "key" (licensing, whatever you want to call it) is definitely "protection
>by obscurity." If you knew exactly how it worked, you could defeat it, and run
>our product forever on every mainframe in the world.

So this is a slightly different topic, but it's been my experience that CPUIDs
("keys", whatever you want to call 'em) are more trouble than they're worth.
Any sysprog worth his salary can break them in minutes if desired; the hassles
at the vendor end of getting 3AM calls due to expiration, etc. make 'em not
worth the trouble. I've seen exactly ONE case where we found someone running an
unlicensed copy; that was a mistake, and was a full-price bluebird, so we
didn't mind at all. Contracts control licenses, not code.

My $0.02.

...phsiii