IBM already provide access to z/OS to Universities teaching z/OS /
z/VM in the IBM Academic Initiative via the Dallas RDP systems.

I taught several units at Canberra university here in Australia. The
class sizes varied between 8 and 20 students. Units were offered as
part of a Masters IT degree, with specialization in mainframe.

I covered z/VM, Unix Systems Services, DB2/COBOL programming, REXX/CICS.

The advantage of the Dallas systems is that they are looked after by
IBM professional systems programmers. The zPDT has some of the
overheads of a bigger box, whereas the z/VM hosted z/OS virtual LPARS
have all the maintenance done for you.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe IBM can offer uni's a version of zPDT that can run on multi-socket
> rack servers so they don't have to subsidize hardware, only software.
> I'm sure that would be more than capable for running z/OS with more than
> acceptable performance.
>

> On 19/06/2013 4:22 PM, Timothy Sipples wrote:
>>
>> Yes, sorry about that. Well, the problem probably got fixed ~10 years ago.
>> Which is better than, say, ~5 years ago.
>>
>>> It is my faded-memory impression that it was, as Timothy pointed
>>> out, DEC's aggressive push of very low-cost and free "stuff" into
>>> universities that both permitted and accelerated the rise of *ix
>>> and also contributed to the decline of IBM mainframes on campus
>>> (though that was not the only reason).
>>
>> My recollection is that DEC didn't really want it that way. DEC would have
>> very much preferred if VMS and/or TOPS-10/20 got more popular in academia.
>> Sure, DEC was happier if BSD UNIX ran on their PDP or VAX hardware rather
>> than somebody else's hardware, but in hindsight that wasn't enough.
>>
>> It's impossible to re-run history, but I suspect that if DEC didn't
>> provide
>> subsidized hardware to run AT&T's/BSD's operating system then there'd just
>> be some other subsidized hardware performing the same role. It would have
>> been something of early 1970s vintage that competed with the PDP-11. Maybe
>> something from CDC, Data General, or Honeywell/Prime. There was also a
>> fortuitous bit of DARPA funding aimed at Berkeley that helped UNIX at a
>> critical stage in its evolution.

>> Timothy Sipples
>> GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
>> E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Wayne V. Bickerdike