On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:05:16 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:

>This is not correct, Paul.  The data would be extracted using GIMUNZIP,
>and AFAIK, they are not encoded with GIMDTS.
>
>>It all depends on whether the intended recipient has
>>access to SMP/E and is authorized to perform an APPLY (APAR IO11698).
>
>Nope.  It requires that the recipient be authorized to use GIMUNZIP.

I stand corrected on this; somewhat happily.

I archived a UNIX directory with GIMZIP and examined the product.
It was  strange_name.pax.Z file plus a couple control files.  I
extracted it successfully (but not usefully) on a non-IBM system.

But it raises a lot of questions:

o For file transfer to a foreign system, has this any advantage over
  the simpler direct use of pax.  Pax from the command line
  also supports code page conversion which might be useful.

o I didn't try a VSAM cluster (VSAM is black magic to me).  If
  one archives a VSAM cluster with GIMZIP and extracts it with
  GIMUNZIP on a different system, is it immediately useful?

o How do IBM and other vendors largely deliver PTFs nowadays?
  In SMPPTFIN format with inline elements, or in FROMNETWORK
  format?

o Are there noways element types (UNIX?, VSAM?) which can be
  delivered only in SMPNTS format, never in SMPPTFIN format?

o If I RECEIVE a SYSMOD containing a GIMZIPped UNIX directory,
  what goes in the GLOBAL zone?  In what format?  If I APPLY it,
  what goes in the target zone?  If I ACCEPT it, what goes in the
  DLIB zone?

o All these questions should be answered by RTFM.  22 months ago,
  I submitted an RCF concerning:

    Title: z/OS Packaging Rules
    Document Number: SC23-3695-10
    Build Date: 05/22/03 10:45:55

  ... concerning absence of rules for network delivery.  I received an
  encouraging reply, "... This document does need to be updated and
  I have brought it to the attention of development, who agrees with
  your observation."  So far, no change (but am I looking in the wrong
  place?)

I work in a niche division of a large corporation.  The corporate standard
is that any software package, installation or patch, shall be delivered
as a .zip package containing either a README.txt or a README.html
file plus an unspecified number of payload files in unspecified format.
Our division certainly lacks the leverage to effect a change in this.
Subject to these constraints, and absent current information in
SC23-3695-10, would customers prefer SYSMODS (FUNCTION and PTF)
in format:

o SMPNTS further wrapped in a pax (or other) envelope?

o SMPNTS as many separate (EBCDIC) files?

o A single SMPPTFIN in the aforementioned zip package?

o Other (specify)?

Thanks,
gil