It's hard to extend REXX. I wrote a regular expression package that wraps the C++ TR1 regex engine that came along in z/OS V1.10. The REXX interface is pretty much written for assembler clients. It would be more useful if it handled LE like ISPF now does in BRIF/EDIF etc. I had to write a CEEPIPI glue code stub, a parser (luckily it was C++ so I used boost spirit) and then the actual regex client code. It was tedious, too many hoops to jump through.

If anybody is interested in a REXX regex package contact me offline. It's not polished but it's more than usable. The only doc is the test-case http://users.tpg.com.au/crayford/rexxre.txt and the ECMA grammer specs
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb982727.aspx.