This drifted into a discussion of manual links. Did anyone address

> Has anyone done benchmarks on different scenarios with instructions with
immediate & relative instructions versus the old instructions

My personal opinion are

1. I doubt that the differences are significant unless you are calculating
pi to 1000 digits or implementing your own 8192-bit encryption.
2. The relative instructions are SO convenient relative (sorry) to the old
base/displacement instructions that I wonder how we ever lived without them.
3. Even if they are a little slower, it would not take very many eliminated
"save and load another base register" scenarios to make up for it.
4. Because of pipelining, caching and so forth it is difficult to construct
benchmarks that are going to accurately reflect your real-world situation.

Charles