Management today, especially in large companies, seem to have no
"investment" in the company itself, on a long term basis. They know that
they need to get their "pay off" quickly (before they are replaced) and
that "reducing cost" will get them money in their pockets faster. So there
is little incentive to have a really long term view point. A perversion of
Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will
worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM, Shane Ginnane <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:30:46 -0400, John respake:
>
> >I see no evidence that the mainframe is going the way of the dodo.
> >What is happening, outside China and several other new markets, is
> >that 1) the number of small- and middling-sizeed mainframe shops is
> >dropping steadily and 2) that many of the remaining large and very
> >large shops are continuing to grow in size.
>
> None of which gives me succour.
> Times is tuff, and management seemingly has not the wit to recognise they
> have to pay for the skills they need.
>
> Shane ...

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown