Not sure about rules in multi-system environment, but with one system I
believe it was possible to DIAGNOSE a catalog to be sure no serious
problems  existed, LOCK it, backup, redefine, restore/reorganize, UNLOCK
while system was running and datasets in the catalog were OPEN and in
use.  As long as you could tolerate short-term inability to OPEN/CLOSE
any datasets in the catalog, it was sometimes possible to move or
rebuild a catalog with in-use datasets without disrupting critical loads
- although admittedly this assumes you have enough control over or
knowledge about the loads and datasets involved to make that assessment.
 One just had to be sure the batch jobs doing the work and TSO user
controlling the process were designed to have no requirements for
OPEN/CLOSE of datasets in the catalog

Of course there is always some risk - errors in the process or unrelated
system failures in middle of process may end up requiring a viable
standalone z/OS.  But there is also a risk in continuing to use an
obsolete feature whose usage is increasingly rare.  Although IBM is
committed to maintain compatibility, I would suspect they may not be
able to test this support as thoroughly as some other system features
precisely because it is obsolete and rare. In every new release or RSU
level of z/OS there is the possibility IBM may unintentionally break
IMBED/REPLICATE logic in some subtle way that because of its rare usage
escapes initial detection during early testing.
        JC Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org