From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Scott Chapman
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RMM v/s TS7740 VTS

The compression is done after it hits the VTS, and is compressed in the disk
cache. My possibly faulty memory says that it at least used to be done on the
host adapter cards in the VTS (that have the FICON connection to the
mainframe), but that may not be entirely accurate.

But effectively:
mainframe  FICON Adapter -- 100GB --> VTS FICON adapter --> 25 GB --> VTS Disk
--> ~25GB --> VTS Tape

I haven't taken the time to really understand RMM and how it reports things
though. Sorry.

Scott Chapman