Dave,

I guess I don't understand:   put a corresponding entry into the "dummy" bcs

I created and empty ucat  with orphan name. Then tried to delete it with the
following JCL

//VVR EXEC PGM=IDCAMS,REGION=512K
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DD1 DD DSN=SYS1.VVDS.VPP1013,DISP=OLD
//SYSIN DD *
  DELETE  CATALOG.MVSICFM.VIP1080     NSCR FILE(DD1)
/*
I get:
IDCAMS  SYSTEM SERVICES                                           TIME:

  DELETE  CATALOG.MVSICFM.VIP1080     NSCR FILE(DD1)
IDC3014I CATALOG ERROR
IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 90 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLFK-18
IDC0551I ** ENTRY CATALOG.MVSICFM.VIP1080 NOT DELETED
IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 8

Respectfully,
Willie C. Rouse
Senior Mainframe Consultant
Prince George's County, Maryland