On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:57:04 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>I would infer that IBM wants to know whether it warrants an immediate
>fix or whether FIN is an acceptable resolution. FIN does not mean
>never, and I've even opened ETR's in which I suggested that FIN was
>appropriate.

I received off-list a communication from an IBM employee explaining
that the purpose is to gather statistics for quality control; it did not
mention assigning priority of response.

Yet I wonder, if the flaw had been discovered internal to IBM during
engineering test, would it have been repaired (just because it's the
right thing to do), or might schedule pressure have sent the product
to market with the flaw.  I doubt that the behavior I reported was
tested; most likely that no one thought of the critical combination of
inputs; less likely that it was deemed insufficiently important to test.

-- gil