On 24 Jul 2013 02:20:25 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Hello.
>

>I have a input file where the data is stored in unsigned packed decimal
>format, now i need the data to be moved to 9(4) field. Could someone let me
>know how the data is retrived?

Is this the COBOL unsigned decimal format - PIC 9(4)
PACKED-DECIMAL/COMP-3 which would be 0nnnnF in 3 bytes or a special
format where just nnnn is stored.  If it is the former all that is
needed in COBOL is a simple MOVE between field with the appropriate
pictures?  Otherewise the other posters have made good suggestions.

Clark Morris