On 7/30/2013 1:02 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
In <51f7e21e.8070...@trainersfriend.com>, on 07/30/2013
    at 09:56 AM, Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com> said:

Yes, that's a very critical issue to face. Most (not all) COBOL shops
I've seen are reluctant to use many of the new facilities

I can see being reluctant to use facilities that came out last year,
but some shops outlaw facilities that have been around for decades.

What's the currency cutoff in your classes?

Not sure how to answer that. I guess the stand-by "it depends".

One shop jumped on the COBOL XML support early, and this
required them to use a lot of the new facilities.

Also, the easy stuff gets adopted early and more widely:

scope terminators
evaluate
larger tables
initialize
LE storage management
LE dates
but not so much LE condition handling

etc.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html