I suspect that English, or indeed any natural language, is a basket
case for the unambiguous specification of an executable program.

The notion of making COBOL English-like has the effect of making it long-winded.

The whole idea of making programming 'easy' needs to be discarded.
There was a time when one had to be something of a programmer in order
to use computers, but that time is long past, and the mind set
associated with it needs to be discarded too.

Teaching a little programming may be useful as demystification.
Teaching a little secondary-school physics is useful too, but no one
supposes that someone who has completed such a course is a physicist.

None of this is to be taken as a recommendation that programming be
made opaque or harder than it needs to be, but I have grown very weary
of being called an élitist when I recommend a piece of technology that
is judged too difficult for clots.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA