Gord Tomlin wrote:

<begin extract>
Don't forget that zIIPs are in essence a marketing construct, created
for the purpose of offering engines at a reduced price for specific
workloads that IBM wanted to attract from other platforms to the z/OS
platform.
</end extract>

An engine is of course an engine.  Clean delegability/delegation is
another matter.  Work must be done and has been done to achieve them.
 In other words, while the motivation for the introduction of zIIPs
was certainly a marketing one, programming support had to be provided
for their use; I expect to see them or something substantively very
like them reappear under z/TPF.  Mr Tomlin does not.

z/TPF is unusual in that it is not a fully autonomous, independently
usable operating system.  SYSGENs and the like for it must, for
example, be done under z/OS.   In my experience situations of this
sort give rise to customer pressures to make things usable in both
environments, for all the obvious reasons.  I did, however, attempt to
make it clear that what I said was conjectural.  I have no arcane
knowledge of IBM's plans for z/TPF.

Mr Tomlin is entitled to make his guesses as I made mine, he has done
so; and I am unrepentent about our differences.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA