We're having ongoing 'discussions' with our tape vendor over through-put
performance. Vendor is suggesting that we should be using modern man-size
blocks like 256K. I did some simple testing yesterday to satisfy myself
that--whatever it might take to super-size our tape file blocks--simply
adding

   BLKSIZE=some-large-number

to a DD card will not cause the creation of very large blocks. After
running such a job with an existing RYO program, the resulting BLKSIZE was
in fact 32K. No error messages, just no big blocks.

Am I right in asserting that, whatever benefit we might derive from
uber-blocks, we cannot get there by fiddling with JCL?

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company