From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Task to subtask communications

And one thing to remember is that the main task, in the PAUSE/RESUME or
WAIT/POST must "poll" for communications from the subtask. I have not used
PAUSE/RELEASE, but it appears that, unlike WAIT/POST, the task doesn't have a
way to "poll" to see if something has sent a message. I.e. when the main task
does a PAUSE, it stops until something does a RELEASE or a TRANSFER.
This may or may not be acceptable.

Being my own weird self, I might consider using UNIX IPC. This could be via
UNIX message queues. Or perhaps semaphores.
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/bpxzb1c0/2.104
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/bpxzb1c0/2.163

The above will work both between tasks in a single address space and tasks in
separate address spaces. But you might need to change from ATTACH to POSIX
threads. I'm not sure. These options are much more attractive if you are using
the C language instead of HLASM. I don't recall if you use C or not.

ATTENTION: -----

The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with
this message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other  confidential
and/or legally privileged information. Any pricing information contained in
this message or in any files transmitted with this message is always
confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without prior written
approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message, in any form, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.