On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 08:04:35 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database Does tell you the offset,
>when to switch.
> And when to add or subtract leap seconds.

z/OS is the only OS of which I know that accommodates leap
seconds in its hardware clock (are there others?)

I believe (there's no documentation and IBM has rejected my
RCF that it be provided; Peter Relson (IIRC) has suggested that
I must appeal to "common knowledge" for the information)
that STCKCONV, the IBM utility for converting historical (E)TOD
values such as might appear in log files, is ignorant of the
calendar of historical leap seconds.

And I believe z/OS does not employ Tz_database for setting
CVTLSO.  Do other OSes employ the leap seconds part of the
Tz_database, perhaps through NTP client?

-- gil