I'm also confused by your question. What makes you ask this question? What did
you read or hear about that made you ask this question? Are you talking about
the "subsystem interface" or is SSI in reference to something else?

Any time a program moves information to storage, it is overlaying storage. It's
only a bad thing when it overlays the wrong storage. We use the term "storage
overlay" to mean overlaying the wrong storage. Assembler macro IEFSSI and MVS
command SETSSI add/update the SSCT which overlays information in an SSCT or the
SSCT chain. If your program overlays the wrong storage, then it can cause
abends.

Great care must be taken in programs that run from the SSI. The SSI runs all
the time and in all address spaces. If something bad happens, you could be
IPL'ing your system.

Jon Perryman..