On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:03:18 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> on 09/09/2013  at 09:32 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>><RHETORIC> Why does DSN(*) exist at all? </RHETORIC>
>
>To accomodate batch applications under TSO.
>
>>What you suggest is more like batch than interactive.
>
>EDIT is like batch? In what way?
>
>>It was a program which issued prompts to DD SYSTERM
>
>I don't know what "it" is, but EDIT did *NOT* issue prompts to DD
>SYSTERM. EDIT used standard TSO services for terminal I/O.

Sometimes it appears that you deliberately over-prune quoted
material so you can refute something the previous poster
never said.  "It" was my program (or the user's), not EDIT.
And editing a file to supply as input to a program rather than
replying to prompts with a terminal makes the operation of that
program more batch-like than interactive, regardless that the
editor operated interactively.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:12:41 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>>But how much IBM software in 1978 actually exploited it?
>
>Batch or interactive? IBM interactive software exploited lower case
>long before the date you asked about.

The appropriate metaphor is that OS/360 et seq. support lower case
in about the same sense that the noose supports the hanged man.

>>TTY 33 ASR
>
>Did the 33 even support lower case? What did you see with, e.g., a
>2741?

33 by folding; I was never afflicted with a 2741.

>>Later, using CDC Kronos,
>
>Display code didn't have lower case. I believe that with NOS and
>NOS/BE CDC switched to ASCII, which did have LC.

In it later days, Kronos provided lower case as digraphs in Display
Code.  Cumbersome, but so is UTF-8 in similar respects.

-- gil