No you are correct, z/OS V1.11 does not allow VSAM to be indirectly
cataloged.  However, since it was stated 3rd party products needed to be
moved off the sysres, I wanted to just expand the thought because there
might be cataloged VSAM files on the sysres as well as the indirect catalog.

z/OS V1.13 allows the indirect cataloging of VSAM.

My other thought is if the symbolic used or the indirect catalog is unique
for the Program products, then you could just change it to a more permanent
volser in  IEASYMxx and then just copy the files to the new volume and IPL.
No need to DEL/DEF the definition.

Unfortunately, not knowing the environment, there can only be assumptions
made as to how best to do this.  The questions that need to be answered are

1) What files are allocated and which are not
2) Can they be moved without an IPL, or would an IPL be required
3) What tools are available to move the files
4) Any hidden issues - users that have jcl that might not be relying on the
normal catalog process.
5) Any files in APF list, Linklst, in LLA?

Thank you for helping me clarify my statements.

Lizette