John Gilmore wrote:
>I want to add, with as much urgency as I can muster, that
>high-security encryption must be used to provide this protection.  No
>encryption scheme endorsed by Five Eyes provides any protection
>against them or indeed against similar Chinese groups.

>I, for one, judge that the intentions of the NSA are benign; but if it
>ever was that is no longer the issue.  The technology for breaking
>these 'recommended' schemes is now so widely diffused that they
>provide only the illusion and not the substance of security.

>Paranoia is almost always dysfunctional.  In this area it is not.   We
>have all been far too naif for far too long.

Wellllll....AES is well-vetted by independent cryptographers, and I'm still
pretty comfortable with "many times the heat-death of the universe to crack".
Nothing is "uncrackable" if you posit unlimited computing power and time, after
all.

The recent Dual Elliptic Curve Deterministic Random Bit Generation fiasco is a
different kettle of hamsters, but it certainly serves as an object lesson in
considering whether recommended IVs are a good idea or not.

...phsiii (I r not a kryptografer, but I work with a bunch!)