In fact Shmuel is, as so often, quite wrong.

IEHMOVE did require a DD statement for the target, move-to dataset;
and I did not, of course, say that it did not.

It did not, however, move the source dataset directly to this target.
Instead it allocated storage for a very different
********.********,,,,,,******** target dataset dynamically. Only after
it had notionally completed its move to that interim, dynamically
allocated dataset successfully did it rename it and scratch the source
dataset.

The problems were, to adopt part of one of Shmuel's overused
locutions, in the details.   In particular, IEHMOVE sometimes
scratched the source dataset in circumstances in  which the target
dataset was unavailable/unusable.

Shmuel has a long history of partial, selective quotation asnd equally
selective fixation on irrelevant detail in orfer to make one of his
debater's points.  By now he is a fixture here.  I should miss his
posts if they ceased to appear on IBM-MAIN.  They do, however, need to
be understood for what they are, viz., the now sometimes
ill-considered work of a gadfly.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA