We've used DWDM between data centers for years. We do DASD mirroring
(XRC), remote tape, and FCTC. DWDM is pretty reliable. It hiccups now and
then. XRC suspends and later resumes. Tape jobs fail and need to be rerun.
Network connections drop and eventually reconnect. All in all the
occasional disruption is worth it.

OTOH I would not entertain running a parallel sysplex over DWDM. Even we
could squeeze into the 100 KM limit and run 'bare fiber' without DWDM, I
still would not do it. There are too many environmental vagaries out there
when you depend utterly on miles of fiber that you cannot control.
Meanwhile the consequences of disrupted sysplex communication are too
grave, including wait stating the entire sysplex. Too great a price to pay
for whatever advantage you're reaching for.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company