At 11:59 -0500 on 10/24/2013, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re: Allocation problem with LMCOPY:

Will 2.1 allow me to DYNALLOC a data set NEW, then immediately
downgrade the ENQ to SHR?  What command?  Assembler only?

I do not know but the lack of an ability to convert an EXC ENQ to a SHR one has been a bug/design flaw from day 1. You can convert a SHR ENQ to an EXC one (so long as you are the only SHR owner I assume) but not the other way. So far as I can tell the EXC->SHR conversion should be easy to do - all you need to do is alter the record to show the status as SHR and then drive the same routine as is used in DEQ (which will run the ENQ chain to unwait the entries until it hits an EXC or the end of the chain).

This will also fix the INIT issue that if a JOB Step has a DISP=OLD with further steps as DISP=SHR, the dataset remains exclusively held until the last DISP=SHR step ends (since INIT can not downgrade the EXC ENQ to the SHR ENQ used by DISP=SHR to allow other jobs access to the dataset).