On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:01:20 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>If I were in charge (no chance), I would go with exactly TWO different
>... While I'm at it, the default TZ in LE and UNIX, if not
>specifically set, should also be assumed to be the equivalent of what the
>offset is in the CVT.

How would you deal with the matter that (in winter) Colorado and
Arizona have identical values of CVTLDTO in the CVT, but Colorado
has TZ=MST7MDT and Arizona has TZ=MST7?

Rather, since TZ has the greater functionality, I'd advocate the
opposite convention: if CVTLDTO is set to some reserved value
(e.g. 8X'FF'), TZ as set in the z/OS UNIX profiles should be used
for conversion to local time.  How about making TZ a special
JCL symbol so users in geographically diverse locations could
get output timestamped according to their local conventions.

All system logs should be timestamped in UTC.

ISPF PDS member timestamps should be in UTC.

Leap seconds?  POSIX screwed up unforgivably and irreparably
by writing an internally contradictory specification.

Thus:

    http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xbd_chap04.html

    The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7
    IEEE Std 1003.1, 2013 Edition
    Copyright © 2001-2013 The IEEE and The Open Group

    ..., it is inappropriate to require that a time represented as seconds
    since the Epoch precisely represent the number of seconds between
    the referenced time and the Epoch.

???

MVS made a halfhearted attempt to do better.  How would your
proposal handle CVTLSO?

-- gil