I can't tell you the specifics about IFL's. I don't think it really matters but
I could be wrong.  Z machines have multiple CPU's that are the same. You can
pay for the CPU's you want to use in the box. IBM disables those that you don't
pay for. As an incentive to buy z architecture, IBM will allow you to pay a
reduced rate for some (not all) processors E.g. IFL, zAAP, zIIp and ICF. IBM
calls these specialized processors and they only allow the specific workload
type.

As for disabling instructions, I don't think it restricts z/OS. It probably
makes z/OS unusable when running on that CPU. If you somehow get z/OS onto an
IFL, then it will most likely fail. Just a method to force you into paying for
what you use.

It's been many year's since I actually did anything with hardware so I don't
know how CPU's are allocated any more. I thought that LPAR management doesn't
allow you to specify specific CPU's. I thought you simply specified xx% of x
IFL CPU's and xx% of 2 CP CPU's.

As for adding / reconfiguring CPU's, I think IBM can do this remotely with a
dialup to your machine.

Jon Perryman.