In
<ofe33189b1.4a8f7060-on48257c15.001e5f0f-48257c15.001ee...@sg.ibm.com>,
on 10/31/2013
   at 01:35 PM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> said:

>It does not (if referring to ported applications),

Ported applications do not run in a vacuum.

>and repeating a falsehood

Such as the claim that z/OS does not require EBCDIC.

>EBCDIC support is required if and only if there is a requirement to
>operate on/with EBCDIC-encoded data.

Water is wet.

>There is no requirement to store user data in EBCDIC,

That's only true if you carefully define "user data" in such a fashion
as to exclude things that most users would call "user data".

>Precision here is particularly important.

Then please change your story to "There are situations in which z/OS
does not require EBCDIC", which is not only more precise but actually
true?

>I would humbly suggest that those who are misleading members of
>the open source community about z/OS are not doing anyone any
>favors.

We agree on that; where we disagree is on who is misleading them.