JCL, TSO and UNIX are very different by nature. While they all are controlled
by WLM, WLM handles their defaults differently. TSO has a user who won't
tolerate the screen being locked because they want to continue working. JCL is
disconnected from the user and the user is willing for the job to complete. JCL
has accounting information and user information which can influence priority.
As for UNIX, WLM can control the address space but it wasn't (maybe it does
now)  granular enough to be able to differentiate the work. The best example is
using MAKE for a single program versus an entire product. It spawns so many
processes it would overwhelm our dev machine.

tail -f requires you send output to a file and you remember that file name.
SYSOUT= is far easier to work with than using separate datasets. Having SYSOUT
seperated in to each DD allows us to easily and quickly switch between DD's.
E.g. joblog shows my job hasn't completed but a couple assemblies have non-0
CC, I can easily look at the SYSTERM output to fix the problem. With UNIX MAKE,
I found myself using GREP and various utilities to verify success. It always
seemed to take longer.

As for comparing job log to manually logging information, they are worlds
apart. JCL has CC's for each step and if you implement CC display in the job
log. Almost everyone has this installed. It's automatic and I can quickly find
the steps that have non-0 CC without manually logging it.

Jon Perryman.