On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

<deleted>
> o Simplify the SPACE parameter.  The programmer shouldn't need
>   to specify anything but (maximum) BLKSIZE (to be used in
>   DCB merge for allocating buffers), average block size (to be
>   used by allocation for calculating gap overhead), primary
>   allocation size (bytes), and secondary extent size (bytes).
>   AVGREC is bizarre: I studied it and experimented.  I understood
>   it for about an hour thereafter.  Eliminate any need for
>   AVGREC.  Imagine: SPACE=(AVG=bytes,PRI=bytes,SEC=bytes),
>   for any size data set up to the largest supported by hardware.
<deleted>

//ddname DD DSN=DATA.SET.NAME,DISP=(NEW,CATLG),
// DSORG=PO,RECFM=FB,LRECL=NNN,BLKSIZE=0,
// SPACE=(BYTES,(24M,2M,56K),RLSE)
should use the System Determined Blocksize for calculating the number
of cylinders and rounding up, and 1 track for the directory.

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA