I was delighted to learn---authoritatively from Chris Blaicher---that
SYNCSORT no longer makes routine use of BSAM or QSAM to read/write its
sortin/sortout datasets.

His point that there are no generic, one-size-fits-all solutions is
also important.

It conceded, my own experience nevertheless strongly suggests that
strung-out, multiple job-step schemes of the sort that the OP outlined
are almost always inferior to those that attach the sort and use its
exits, at least for traditional I/O-bound commercial processing, MFUs
and the like.  (Well used, COBOL QSAM i/o can be very efficient
indeed; but it is almost always used in what I shall politely call
suboptimal fashion.)

The question whether the sort can itself do any required preprocessing
needs always, of course, to be examined

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA