I have been using Regina Rexx for some years, started when I was to teach a
Rexx course and wanted a good Windows Rexx capability. The OS interfaces are
different, but easy enough to use, and it is well documented. It can be
found at http://regina-rexx.sourceforge.net/ it is obviously being updated
regularly as I am using 3.5 and 3.7 is available and the price is right.
Sample of I/O code below. Other OS interfaces I have not used, no need yet.

/* Read the file into an array */
INFILE1  = "C:\WineBase32\TextFile\WineList.csv"
lines = 0
do while lines(infile1)>0
   lines = lines + 1
   iline.lines = linein(infile1)