Sorry about the late reply.

The last time I seriously looked, the COBOL sort verb invoked the installation
sort (DFsort, SYNCSORT,....).

The COBOL program effectively became the E15/E35 sort exits.

On that basis, I would not expect any significant difference in CPU time
consumed, *AND* as someone previously noted, a possible significant increase in
elapsed time.

HTH,

<snip>
It has been suggested to management here that there could be potentially
significant CPU savings from re-engineering application programs such that any
SORT's are done in a separate step, so that a program with a single internal
SORT would be broken up into a pre-SORT process followed by an external SORT of
the massaged data followed by a post-process of the SORTed data.
</snip>